Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Privacy is dead... or is it?

With the advent of Internet and social media, it is almost impossible to live a digital fingerprint free life. I have a Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus accounts (mainly because of work and school) but I don’t post much personal information to these sites. Even though I don’t feel comfortable sharing pictures/video of my personal life, I have come to the realization that no matter how much you control your own privacy, others can post information about you without your approval. Prior to posting online, I make sure that the material pasts this litmus test: Am I OK with my parents, future potential children, US government, and criminals seeing it? This rules out certain pictures from my college years, as well as broadcasting my whereabouts through geo-location based applications.

With a relatively unique first and last name, I’m pretty easy to find online. With a quick google search of myself, I found information about where I worked (currently work), conferences I’ve attended, my ePortfolio, social networking front pages, Prezi presentations, newspaper articles, press releases, etc. It wouldn’t be too difficult to piece together a recent chronology of my life. In fact, my initial introduction of my classmate Stacy was pieced together from her Google Plus and Facebook accounts.

It seems that the current generation of high school students has a more open view to toward privacy compared with their predecessors. I would emphasize the litmus test that I ascribe to. Do you feel comfortable with you parents, future potential children, the government or criminals seeing this information? Given that they will be going to college or entering the workforce shortly, I woul also add potential employers to the list. Another way of framing it to students would be: Are you comfortable with your digital information being available for ANYONE to see now and forever more?

If you have kids or students, what are their views on digital privacy?

Angwin, J. (16 March 2012) Google in Privacy Probes. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved March 19,2012 from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304692804577283821586827892.html

Dhawai, D. (14 October 2011) Beware! Google Street View, Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, etc, useful to plot crime, says Ex-Burglars. The Dnetworks. Retrieved March 19, 2012 from http://thednetworks.com/2011/10/14/beware-google-street-view-facebook-twitter-foursquare-etc-useful-to-plot-crime-says-ex-burglars/

Rambam, S. (1 August 2006) Privacy is Dead- Get Over It. Retrieved March 19, 2012 from http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-383709537384528624.

No comments:

Post a Comment